Thursday, March 26, 2009

secrets of the heart

What you see isn't always everything.

It sure is easy to think that we know those who are close to us. We want to believe that what we see and hear from the person is all there is to it. But we can never know for certain because what really goes on inside another’s head and heart is essentially a secret.

As Gail Saltz wrote it in
the ‘Anatomy of a Secret’ which I'm reading, “to have secrets is to be human”.

I am certainly very human. Even while I find comfort in the anonymity of this blog, often, I find myself censoring my own self for fear of revealing too much. Maybe it’s because I simply can’t bring myself to allow a stranger to know ‘me’ without me having an equal chance to know him too.

Secrets are, as Gail had aptly captured it, “the currency of close relationships, the coin of exclusivity, sometimes the key to love itself”.

If I choose to share my secret with you, it’s because I trust you. And with trust, it’s always a risk. I guess that’s the reason I fear I may end up being hurt somehow if I reveal too much of myself to anyone other than my selected few. Believe me, my fears are not unfounded. I once confided in someone I was comfortable with but not exactly close to just because the ‘distance’ gave me a faux sense of security and thereafter, things went horribly wrong. Lesson learnt, now with people I am not close to, I live by the line “You tell me your secrets and I’ll tell you mine. Maybe”.

Secrets – can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

We all have secrets. I know I guard mine fiercely, allowing only those I’m close to aware of my vulnerabilities. Maybe the very people I’m close to keep secrets from me, and I fully respect that. But it can hurt sometimes when you know they’re doing it. After all, if those close to you harbour secrets from you, doesn't that mean they are intentionally excluding you from their lives?

It hurts even more when you know that after opening yourself up totally to them, they would only share scraps of fuzzy, vague details to you. I guess for me, it just makes me wonder where I stand in the relationship.

And while we may say that someone who doesn’t know everything about us doesn’t really know us, can we truly say that we know ourselves?

As a quote from Frank Warren goes:

There are two kinds of secrets:
Those we keep from others,
And the ones we hide from ourselves.

The secrets we keep from ourselves are the ones we simply refuse to acknowledge. They are the ones that we bury over time and we’d become embarrassed or enraged if we ever feel the slightest threat of being exposed.

Just like the secrets we keep from others, these inner secrets too, want to be released. So they try to escape somehow, and give themselves away through fleeting facial expressions, dreams and slips of the tongue, etc.

Has someone you’re close to ever done something inexplicably out of character? I know someone. When I discovered it, I realised suddenly that I didn't know him very well. Maybe even not at all. I suppose that’s when the malignant secret take on more troubling forms.

But without access to these inner secrets, we can’t really know ourselves at all. Instead, we’re forced to spend our lives in a state of continual vagueness, ignorant of the reasons behind our own actions and perceptions.

When someone commits something we would least expect of him, naturally we will question the need to conceal. I believe it’s not the ‘what’ but the ‘why’ that matters most.

If he refuses to reveal why, then I suppose, he is making a choice to hide his real self not only from others but also from his own self. And unless he faces up to the secret he keeps from himself, it will only be a matter of time before the malignant secret starts spreading again to find an outlet through troubling forms.

And when you find someone in whom you can confide all your secrets and who in turn can confide all his or her secrets in you, then for the first time since infancy you will have found a person who seemingly knows everything about you, and that is what we might call love.

And if I may find someone who will lead me to the heart of his secrets, I will not hesitate to lead him to my heart.

10 comments:

  1. yeap, i know that sense of exclusion when you noe someone's keeping the truth from you. but u dun feel it with just anyone... just those whom u're very close to and with whom u've opened up your heart to. funny how that one person who u trusted in the first place can make you feel so lost and lonely by lying/keeping secrets.

    good luck, i hope someone will open up and be brave enough to share his secrets with u.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi wondering heart..im stumped for words by this "chimlogy" of secrets. After reading..i think for a moment whether I myself has a secret, if not secrets. And I realised that, at this moment not at all. But I do know many people's secrets, and I realised that maybe the reason why I do not have secrets is that I cant live in secrecy. I always burst my own bubble. But I do think that to certain extend, everyone has a mild level of secrecy called personal space. Maybe til now, my only secret is keeping other pple's secrets..like this blog itself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm no secrets eh? maybe tats the secret to your everlasting youth, ms tickling? :)

    but i think its true, secrets can be such heavy burdens. it can weigh your life down... so the best is to not have secrets or at most, share it with someone else...

    ReplyDelete
  4. barren heart: at this point of time no secrets la..like i said..i always burst my own bubble..so my "secrets" are in the end no secrets..but hey i dun leak other pple's secrets. But what you said is true, secrets are such heavy burden. Haha..but come to think of it, even good secrets like planning a surprise..i also cant hold for long..lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. psst...yeah,i agree. secrets can be very heavy burden. Thats why i'd rather not have any sometimes. anyway, i am like tickling heart too! always i end up bursting my own bubble...

    p.s. hearties...i have currently run out of juice to write..i know its not an excuse. But, i think for now, i will be an equivalent to a "cameo" type of writer... i'll eat more fish ok, to rehydrate the brain juice. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. we all have secrets lah... (i insist ticking that you have too! lol) it's all varying degrees. anything that you withhold from someone is a secret. like ticking said, it's about maintaining your personal space. you don't tell everyone everything about you, do you? (colleagues don't need to know about your personal issues, family don't need to know about your work issues, etc. the list goes on.)

    even feelings can be a secret, if you choose to keep mum about it.

    but yea, big secrets are heavy, emotionally draining and has the potential to be dangerous. that's why we should be as open whenever possible with our feelings to prevent it from manifesting and growing into something bigger.

    and thx barren, i too wish all of us hearties will find someone whom we can trust and in turn trusts us. :)

    plastered: it'll take some time for the fish to take effect... so write with your heart, not with your brain :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. to wondering heart: hah..then dat will depends on how we define secrets already..and seriously i cant think of any grave secrets that Im afraid of people finding out...and of cos I do not go around telling everyone about everything..there are somethings which I keep to myself..but does it means that they are secrets? So if I say do IPL on my underarms..and I din tell anyone..is it a secret?

    ReplyDelete
  8. MUAHAHAHAHHA!! tickling, u made me laugh out loud in the office with tat... aiyoi

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe..I noe that it is very boring in office ma..i wanted to say something more obscene :P but its a secret..

    ReplyDelete
  10. ahah! so you DO have a secret... and obscene one at that... tsk tsk...

    of course you choose who you want to share it with la... if we don't want to tell someone it's always because we don't want them to react or think of us in a certain way (e.g. don't want them to worry unnecessarily or think you're weird or that you're weak etc etc)

    anyway, would you boast to a male colleague (that you're not close to) about your IPL and even show off the successful results in his face? haha... i'd sure like to see HIS reaction

    ReplyDelete