Tuesday, August 25, 2009

the ones who played peekaboo

I’m reading the time traveller’s wife now. Such a lovely read, also coz im a sucker for good narratives. It’s a story of a man who time travels (duh!) and his wife who has to wait for him to come back whenever he disappears into the past/future. Time-tripping husband has no control over his disability/power and is unwillingly sucked into different time zones whenever he gets too emotional or sometimes, for no reason at all. His solidly-present spouse has the unenviable task of worrying for his safety til he returns coz time travel isn’t all that breezy (I wont disclose too much info, lest you call ‘Spoiler!’).

Anyway, reading this just reminded me of the time traveller-wannabes I’ve come across who also pop in and out mysteriously. I seem to know a number of this species of males who come and go as they please. For a week or two, they can be constantly smsing or calling me, asking me out. And suddenly, *poof*! Disappear for a few months, appear again out of the blue. Repeat cycle.

The one who was my best friend was the first of these males I encountered, back when we were friends. If there’s a hiatus from his daily calls, it could only mean one thing. He was attached. But his absence wasn’t too bad, he’d only be gone for at most a week or two (as long as his prev rships went. heh).

So from there, whenever the guys I know run AWOL on me, I’d just assume they got attached or are distracted with someone else. For some, I’d assume that they’re in some kinda accident or got into trouble and thrown into jail. Yeah I know, don’t you just love the optimism in me? :)

Recently, I had an experience with 2 different guys who said they wanted to meet me on a certain day (not on the same day of coz). The day came and no word, call or sms from them. Maybe something cropped up and they couldn’t make it or even sms to tell me... so I didn’t call them to bug. Weeks pass and still no word. Ok, I can take a hint. Above scenarios run through my mind and I forget about it.

But lo and behold, some moons later, these 2 guys make their re-appearing act. Just a nonchalant sms or MSN, “I’m back. Wanna meet?” or “So long never hear from you. How are you?”, like nothing happened.

Hmmmmm. Maybe I was overreacting? Maybe I misunderstood them and they DIDN’T say they want to meet?

I dunno. I stopped wondering long before they came back. Let’s see how long they can stay in my presence before they disappear again.


4 comments:

  1. It's just like some friends who come to u only when they need ur help.

    My take is those aren't true friends. And in ur case, those guys aren't true candidates. Don't worry babe, ur time will come. It's just not yet. And not with those guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. barren...my take on those guys ah. Pi telan bom ah. hahaha.
    Do not waste time on these time-wasters. The next time they sms you....reply: Errr Do I know you? I'm sorry I must have deleted your number because I thought you no longer existed on this Earth.
    Better still...delete number, bilang diaorg pegi fly kite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heeeyy, i got a few frens who only come to me when they need money too... hmmmmmm. it just got me thinking if its something wrong with me, y'know?

    random, such brutal but great advice! but somehow i can never say words like tat, even on sms. lol. usually, i just ignore and disappear, but ok will try to do it on the next bugger who does it to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cos they know u're too nice n obliging to refuse them? if it's true what u say abt them repeatedly contacting u only aft they broke up, only means that they turn to u for a much needed ego-boosting before they resume their hunt.

    life's too short to be wasted on such time-consumers.

    ReplyDelete