Sunday, August 23, 2009

conversations with myself

I'm really bad at saying no.

When I really wanna turn someone down, or when asked to do something I don't like, that simple two-letter word isn't that simple to say out at all. It takes a lot of beating around the bush, going round and round, before I can get my message across... most times, I fail and end up saying yes instead. So I gave up trying to say no and just silently protest.

Recently, I did say it.

NO, I can't do this.

NO, I really tried.

NO, I think this is a bad idea.

What do you know, even when it does come out of my mouth, it doesn't work.

NO, this isn't acceptable.

NO, YOU have to try harder.

NO, I won't take no for an answer.

What am I to do? I begin to second guess myself. Maybe saying 'no' is a bad idea. Besides, all they have is my interest at heart. Maybe, I should push myself to say yes instead. If everyone thinks it's such a good idea, it has to be.

YES, I can do it.

YES, I will try again.

YES, even though my heart says no.

The heart could be wrong. Based on past experience, it hasn't been that reliable and is prone to make overly emotional decisions, with pretty dire consequences. Maybe this time, I shouldn't listen to it too much. Anyway, apart from saying no, it really hasn't said much. Maybe it's just gotten into a bad habit to saying 'no'. It's time to train it to say yes now.

Not all decisions can be made based on what your heart says.

Say, when you're setting up a company and looking for a suitable business partner. What do you look for? You don't just go for someone whose face you like, who gives you a good 'vibe' and who says nice things to you right? Who knows, that glib talker might be out to swindle you. This partner-to-be has to have a stable background, good financial history, no criminal records, etc... someone you can depend on. From there, it's easier to establish a partnership that will last. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

All that has to be done now, is to hope and pray that this stubborn barren heart learns to open up again and finally say yes.


4 comments:

  1. well well what do u know... I'm having a yes no battle myself.

    babe, i dun wish for u to say yes, only to have a part of u die... sometimes the answer is not a direct yes or no to that particular qn. sometimes we've got to look for alternatives which resides between a yes n a no

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dun think saying maybe is gonna solve anything :)

    anyways, i dun think i'll die or anything. just a matter of acceptance and a lil perception management on my part

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant metaphorically lah... U just won't be e same person.

    N sorry perhaps I didn't say it clearly. I didn't mean a maybe. Sometimes the answer isn't simply agreeing or defying. Sometimes we have to look for an alternative away from elements involved that seeks to achieve a compromise between both parties. A positive one, that is

    ReplyDelete
  4. the problem is one side cant articulate her feelings properly and the other cant seem to listen to reason.

    ReplyDelete