Sunday, July 12, 2009

the one who fell in love with my friend

do you believe in serendipity?

I got to know mr y from irc (hey it WAS hot then, no judging!). As we got to talking, he found out I was from a certain polytechnic, and told me his cousin was studying there too. And it turned out that I did know her, although she's from a different course.

On our first date, as we were on the bus home, we made another discovery after asking each other which sec sch we came from. He asked me if I knew this girl, and it only turned out to be one of my good friends, who was my classmate for... oh, I dunno... all 4 years there? Then it hit me, as I recalled my friend telling us about her first love. Tadaa.... mr y! But that was eons ago, when they were both too young to love (I think).

Now at that time, I was close to this girl, ms e, and we'd talk to each other for hours, complain about boy problems (mainly hers) and entertain ourselves by teasing boys on irc. I told her about mr y and she was excited that I got to know a nice boy. Once, both of them were online and I think we got to group chatting. Or rather, I opened up a channel just for the 3 of us (it's not exactly msn) and introduced them both.

Ms e was a very outgoing and friendly girl... the kind who can talk and make friends with anyone. From the chat, I saw that they hit it off pretty well. Details are a bit fuzzy now (pls pardon me, this happened way back in poly before the millenium) but I think mr y's cousin was having a bbq party at east coast the next day. So on the channel, ms e and I were planning to meet first and get the present before heading to east coast. And for some reason, mr y offered to follow us to go orchard and suggested we make our way to the party together. I'm not that dense so I kinda sensed something there...

A sense of which came true when we all met the next day. I never believed in love at first sight, but I believe that's what happened to mr y that day, right before my eyes. It's kinda amazing how well they hit it off, both mildly flirting with each other, the way he was looking at her, totally enamored. I told myself, “He's hooked.”

And true enough, the day after the bbq, mr y called me and told me he's so into my friend. Duh! It really wasn't any surprise and honestly, I didnt even feel jealous or anything. I was young then and although mr y was a very, very nice guy, I wasnt that affected. Ok maybe just a little bit, but there was nothing going on with mr y and I in the first place anyway.

So they did hook up and got engaged a few years later. After another couple of years, they broke up for a year I think. But thankfully, they got back together and got married! I was invited of course, even though we lost contact for a long while. At the wedding dinner, the bride and groom were telling their guests about their love story, and they gave their special thanks to me for bringing them both together :) it was all very sweet until they called out my name to ask me to stage. Gah!

There I was in the back, willing myself to look invisible so they couldnt spot me. Lol! Well, I did say hello to them on my way in, so they KNEW I was there...

Bride: Ms barren, ms barren... please show yourself. I think we all want to see who's our matchmaker...
Groom: Tadi dia ade tau, mana dia eh? (She was just here, where is she now?)

It's sweet that they want to give due credit to moi but so embarrassing la! I made it up by showing up at the end to congratulate them...

Looking back, it's kinda funny how things turned out. But I'm glad I had a hand in bringing two people together :)


3 comments:

  1. so sweet! btw the couple i matchmade is tying the knot early next year... hehe

    let's start a biz babe and be agents of love... hiakhiak

    ReplyDelete
  2. ejen cinta? lol

    and i also noe of a couple that plastered helped to get together who are also getting married next yr! :P

    heee

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yea! I heard abt them too! lol!

    we should so do this, it's in our blood haha!

    ReplyDelete