Monday, February 16, 2009

the perfect date

Recently, I had a lovely date. We met for lunch, went to a lovely café for tea, did some window shopping, and finally, had dinner while people watching and bitching about innocent passersby. During the date, I was at ease with my companion, the mood was relaxed, and I had the best conversations throughout the day… the kind that just flowed.

Too good to be true? Not if my date is a girl :)

No, I’m not that desperate to switch to the other side (yet) but yes, a lot of my good dates recently had been with the girls. My girlie dates.

At the end of that date, I was telling my friend how nice it would be to spend the whole day like this with a guy. Just chilling out, no need to try so hard to impress the other party and no need to rack your brains to think of the next politically correct topic to talk about (there’s only so much about the weather we can talk about). Why is it so hard to find someone who just can hang out with us? A good date doesn’t have to be just going to the movies or having a meal per se. It’s just spending quality time with each other and enjoying each other’s company.


As you get older, I guess every date becomes more significant. Each outing is like a test on whether this will be The One. Every word, every move and gesture is scrutinised and analysed. And of course, there’ll be the post mortem, which sometimes can be just as exhausting as the date itself. And for most parts, take much longer than the date itself. heh.


So inevitably, this puts a certain pressure on the date and that takes away some of the fun and spontaneity that I wanted. I guess it’s all self-inflicted. I really shouldn’t be thinking too much about the dates I go on, right? If I am so comfortable going out with my girl friends, then I should treat the guy like a friend too. I think that takes away the heat from myself too. Anyway, I work best under casual conditions :)


Of course, for me to treat the guy like a friend, I have to like him as one too and above all, be able to hold a decent conversation with him. Someone who clicks with me. Now that’s the tricky part, sifting through this (almost empty) basket of available men and trying to find one that matches your personality.


A friend forwarded me this website that may be able to make this sifting a bit easier, if you believe in this kinda thing anyway :) Click here.


Just for fun, I went to the love matches to check which animal would complement my Chinese sign. The descriptions are really funny. So even if you don’t believe in this, it’d be good for a laugh.


Anyway according to Ms White, my perfect date should be with Mr Ox, Snake or Pig. Cluck cluck :)

6 comments:

  1. lol. barren heart, same age ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i couldn't disagree with you less on this barren heart! i guess when we are with gal frens, we really "let our guard down". No need to "act too prim and proper" and basically...no worries...

    but still...PH needs a guy!!! haaaaa :P and so do all the other hearties ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah! we can just chill and not do anything... and it's not just the flowing conversations about anything and everything under the sun... any silences shared are never awkward.

    but try experiencing that with a guy... tough...

    ReplyDelete
  4. random: a fellow chick eh? nice. but i could be either 28 or 40 you know :P

    plastered: yes yes, we still need a man. one with whom we can be our silly selves and show our true selenge colours. heh

    wondering: ya la, so hard to share comfortable silences with a guy. i only had tat with one guy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol. well barren I guess only we know our own ages. But 17 is a nice number aye? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. random: 28 - 12 = 16 lah!

    hur hur... guess you're better with letters (acronyms) than numbers :P

    ReplyDelete