Sunday, February 1, 2009

the one who was too intense

I got to know mr d from a friend. after meeting him twice, and a few online chats over msn, that was it.

I’m sure he’s a nice guy. but I get the feeling that he tried too hard maybe? to a point of being… to borrow Simon Cowell’s vocab… affected.

firstly, he talks funny.

like in a nigga-style kinda way.

“dude, howzit trippin’ ya’all” kinda way.

nu york rapper gangsta kinda way.

ok you get the picture.


secondly, he was too intense for me. cases in point:


intense moment no. 1

before we met for our first date, he was telling me how it’s been ages since he went out with a girl and that he had nothing to wear. i reassured him, saying he doesn’t need to dress up or anything. just t-shirt and jeans will do. i don’t really like guys who are too formally dressed anyway, so it’s fine.

when we met, he told me he needed to get new clothes and asked me to help him choose some nice stuff. shopping to make a guy look better? sounds like a swell idea to me :)

or so i thought…

first up was shoes, he was looking for nice boots. went inside this shop where a nice, chirpy uncle greeted us. the shoes that he wanted was there so he was trying them on. he didn’t know what shoe size he was so this nice uncle brought out that shoe-measuring thingimagic for him. this ah pek got down to his knees and helped mr d with that shoe instrument. of coz he had to right, he was just doing his job.

but mr d got visibly irritated, told the uncle that he could do it himself. uncle went “it’s ok, it’s ok, i help you…” mr d went tsk tsk at nice uncle, and his face turned black. i think he might even have cringed when the uncle helped him. i was thinking, what’s up with this guy?

in the end he didn’t even buy the shoes and just walked out. when we were out of the shop, he told me he didn’t like people touching his feet. or more like, “no one touches my feet.” he was so agitated and kept telling me how he hates it. all right, I don’t like strangers touching me too, but take a chill pill dude (another one of his favourite, VERY often used phrase btw).

next was shirts. went to a certain trendy fashion chain where he picked out some dress shirts. tried on a few, asked me which one i thought was nicer and he actually bought the one that i picked out for him. now, from that short 2-3 hours i spent with him that day, i can tell that he’s very prudent with his money and won’t splurge on things like clothes (which was why he hasn’t gone shopping for 10 years, hello).

but the day he went out with me, he bought these pricey shirts that i said were nice. and as he paid for the stuff, he said “I can wear this the next time we go out.”

eh? next time? all i could muster was a smile.

intense moment no. 2

once, on my msn, I put a line of this song as my display nick. I always do that for songs that get stuck in my head for the day.

so the liner of the day was – I can’t be your friend unless I pretend from the song Sewn, by The Feeling.

this mamat saw my nick, and somehow, thought that I directed it at him! Why you so terasa (feeling) ah? he was actually questioning if the nick was meant for him. what the heck? even if it WAS directed at someone, you think you’re the only one on my list is it? tsk tsk.


intense moment no. 3

after that date, we did maintain contact but didn’t get around to meeting up again. BUT the person who did get to meet him was my insurance agent. lol. ok when I signed up with this agent, she was asking me for a list of friends who I think could use her services. ie she’s asking for referrals la. so one of the names I put down was mr d.

most of my friends didn’t even bother to meet this agent but apparently, he did. the next time I met my agent, she was telling me she had an appointment with one of my friends, mr d.

I was curious to know what happened, so I asked, how was it? she took a while to answer me, like trying very hard to compose her answer. in the end, what she said was, “he was very… intense.

at that, I just burst out laughing. I mean, this was a girl who didn’t even know the guy and she felt the same way about him just after one meeting! hey, at least he was consistent eh? :P

the story was, my agent was telling him how important it was to save and have a proper savings and investment plan for the future, you know, the usual insurance spiel. and she said mr d had VERY strong feelings against this idea and didn’t agree with what she said. instead of just saying no to the agent, which is what most people would do, I guess he turned it into a debate with the insurance agent. heh.

so yes, intense indeed.

but if you don’t believe in insurance, why bother to meet up at all right? hmmm…


6 comments:

  1. just to give him credit, “I can wear this the next time we go out" is a pretty good line. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tsk. what a man. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't stop laughing reading this entry. What a total weirdo dodo. The part where he said “no one touches my feet.” was esp funny! I imagine him wearing a Pharaohnic Egyptian King's headgear, sitting on a throne and saying that to his subjects. Bwahahaha :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. plastered: muahahahahaa... I burst out laughing when I read your comment. doesn't help that I know how he looks

    ReplyDelete
  5. does it help that YOU had a personal encounter with his 'intensity'? heh

    egyptian king eh... that's quite apt. same race daa :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. am i missing out on a story here??? hmm...

    ahhh...egypt eh? hmmmm

    ReplyDelete