Sunday, November 1, 2009

single, desperate, ugly... not!

Two ads caught my eye in the papers last weekend. One was promoting a Dating Challenge, another on some Dating Treats promotion. Both were organised by the Social Development Network (that’s the new name for SDU, guess they got sick of the SingleDesperateUgly jokes). I’ve always seen ads and articles on the events and campaigns that SDU has been working on to ‘encourage’ us singletons to find a match and get married. Used to skim through their newsletters that was sent to my ex last time; I didn’t get it, coz apparently only full time grads from local unis are automatically enrolled.

I remembered being kinda peeved with the ‘discrimination’ (part-time grads don’t need help meh?) and having the impression that these events always have more women and most participants were not malays anyway. So I never bothered to check them out. But since jaded heart was asking about places to meet new people, I thought no harm in seeing if this is a viable channel. And I was kinda curious what kinda events they organised so I went to their webby to take a look.

They really have a lot of events going on… speed dating lunches, overseas trips, mass movie dates, charity events. But I get the feeling I’m not quite the right target audience. Most of the venues are at pubs or fine dining restaurants, and some are exclusively for Christian singles… so nah.

But a few caught my eye, like the street photography workshop and the paintball trip up to Johor. Not for the dating element, but it could be fun if you gather a few friends to go together.

After looking through the website, even though it shows how much effort our gahmen is putting into this, it all seems so… contrived to me. Blame it on the romantic comedies, sappy Korean drams or love songs that I’ve been exposed to, but maybe I’ve been conditioned to fall in love, as opposed to finding it at a “fun activity especially for SDN LoveByte Users that includes buffet dinner and free flow fruit punch.”

The best things happen when you least expect it, not when you purposely seek out for it in an SDU forum.

That’s just my two cents’ worth. Maybe this will work for others. I’m sure there are success stories that SDU can be proud of. But it’s just not for me. I’ll go back to hanging around the aisles of Border’s and trawling myspace for my husband-to-be. Heh, ok kidding.

Paintball, anyone?


5 comments:

  1. So if let's say I decide to take up in-line skating and then meet someone there, that's ok.

    It's weird only if the in-line skating session was organised by SDU with the not-so-hidden agenda of helping us meet our significant other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry been mighty busy plus I didn't know you bubbled!

    did u read last week's sunday times life edition? the journalist related her experience at a speed dating event. she had vowed to try it before she turned 40. but I think she felt weird cos she was e oldest participant there.

    I think there's pros n cons to attending this sort stuff. for one, you can be sure the guys there are serious abt finding a partner - you know they're on the same platform. but another, it feels rather contrived and we all know girls are emotional beings who love things going naturally.

    but I have to admit that I applaud the sdu members in taking a step to finding their partners. it takes lots of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jaded, I think the difference between the two is the ‘niat’ or intention. I’m not saying the latter is bad or wrong but for me, if I take up something with the intention of meeting someone and not coz im really into tat activity, I know I’ll stop halfway. And from my prev experiences, things hardly work out when I purposely plan for it or expect it to turn out a certain way. I guess my aversion to these events stems from there.

    Being a romantic at heart (still!), I still love that unexpected element when something does happen.

    There’s nothing wrong with going for these events to find a partner of coz. its just a matter of personal opinion tat I think its contrived… maybe we’re just ‘brainwashed’ to think that love should come naturally. But who knows, I could try it out for the heck of it.

    And yes wh, I read it after I posted this actually. Heh. The last Sunday times article abt the supposed ‘cougars’ was also interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. aft reading your comment I looked for the paper but it was no longer around. what did I miss about the 'cougars'?

    ReplyDelete